Monday, April 9, 2012

What's in a name?

When searching out other infertility blogs I saw dozens of adorable names. I hate to name them for fear of misquoting but they made me really think about what I wanted to call this blog. The name "Waiting for Strangers" came to me while playing video games. I adore video games and I was playing one of my newer games "Sims 3" on my Wii. This is the first Sims brand game that I have owned that lets you have children. I started my first game file with a couple made to be replicas of my husband and myself.

I played this game for several hours before I got brave enough to investigate where the Sims babies came from. I made my character interact romantically with my husband's character. I clicked the necessary actions until the game gave me the option to "Woo-Hoo" (have sex with) my husband or "Try for Baby". I cursed aloud and let a couple of hate tears fall when I clicked "Try for Baby" and my Sim character almost immediately after coitus showed the symptoms of nausea and back-ache. This of course was followed by a baby-bump and a 20 point mood boost because my Sim enjoyed being pregnant. That bitch.

My husband rolled his eyes while I complained loudly about our digital fertile avatars. Two digital Sims days passed and I got a game notification saying that my Sim had been taken to the hospital to give birth. I soon found my character standing in the yard while the game tried to create what our Sim child would look like. I again complained and cursed loudly, I was anxious to see how our digital child appeared. My husband said "Where is it? What's taking so long?" and I said "I don't know, maybe it's already in the house and I'm out here waiting on a stranger!". That moment cute little boy appeared in the yard next to me with my husband's stick-straight hair and his deep chocolate colored eyes. I made my character walk up to him, he waved. I chose "Ask about Day" as a conversation prompt, the relationship bar popped up. It turned out, we weren't strangers at all, we knew exactly who the other was.

It sounds a bit sappy but that's really how it happened. When I decided to start blogging a couple of weeks ago the name "Waiting for Strangers" seemed to fit. We're strangers now, but when you get here, I'll know exactly who you are.

Best Wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment